Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Harvey D. Blankespoor Ph.D. Letter

Dr Blankespoor recently sent this letter to me. It has updated information on Swimmer's Itch, and the url for his survey which I hope everyone will use to tell him about their experiences with SI, and the new SI Guard: survey: http://www.swimmersitch.org/report.html
Swimmer's Itch Guard: http://www.SwimmersItchGuard.com

Hi carolyn,


This email is an update for those who completed the Swimmer’s Itch Questionnaire during the last 8 years. Thanks again for taking time to do that.

Our intent is to provide answers to three common questions:
1. Is there anything we can do to prevent Swimmer’s Itch?
2. Where is Swimmer’s Itch Found in North America?
3. Can you send me any of your published information?

As I reported in the last email, there appears to be a topical cream that prevents Swimmer’s Itch. It is called Swimmers Itch Guard, and it is available online and at many local stores with pharmacies. You can learn more at www.SwimmersItchGuard.com.

Based on six trials, nobody got Swimmer’s Itch (not even one papule) on the leg that had the Guard. Several students got papules on the leg that had no Guard.

This summer, I will do additional testing of the effectiveness of this cream at the Univ. of Michigan Biological Station. I also plan to test if Swimmers Itch Guard prevents leeches from attaching. As soon as the results of this summer’s testing are compiled, I will forward them to you.

If you, other family members, or friends don't use the Guard and get swimmers itch, I am still interested in getting the information listed on the questionnaire. Thanks in advance for taking the time and interest in getting your data to me.

Several people asked where swimmers itch is found in North America. It is found where birds such as Mergansers and certain snail species live. I can report that Michigan had the most reported cases, followed by Wisconsin, Minnesota and Washington. Ontario and British Columbia were the two Canadian provinces where Swimmer’s Itch was the worst. I hope to have a paper published on the latest results sometime this year.

Finally, our research has been published in a book entitled “The Changing Environment of Northern Michigan” and is published by the University of Michigan Press. Incidentally, if you would like an electronic copy of Chapter 16: “Swimmer’s Itch: Misguided Flatworms”, email me and I will send you a copy.

Thank you again for your participation and feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Harvey D. Blankespoor Ph.D.
Professor Emeritus of Biology
Hope College
Holland, MI 49423
blankespoor@hope.edu
616-395-7279
www.SwimmersItch.org

No comments:

Post a Comment